Over Half of Companies in LatAm and Spain are Now Hiring Remotely

A recent Nubelo survey delves into the world of freelance and remote work in Latin America and Spain, finding some interesting results.

Over half of companies in Spain, Mexico and Colombia hire freelance professionals online. In fact, across Latin America and Spain, 51% of companies now consider themselves 3.0.

A recent Nubelo study surveyed 2,500 independent professionals and 1,300 businesses to learn more about the lay of the land in freelance and remote work in the Spanish-speaking world. Respondents from Spain, Argentina, Colombia, Mexico, Chile, Peru, Uruguay and other countries participated.

The findings: both employers and workers reap a wide range of benefits from virtual work, from improved work quality to better time management and ease of finding talent. “In countries where there are problems accessing local talent, businesses find a solution in online platforms,” affirmed Francesc Font, CEO of Nubelo.

In Spain, 59% of companies hire remotely, in Colombia, 53.8%, and in Mexico, 53.7%. In Argentina, 49.1% do so. Most “3.0 workers” are between the ages of 26 and 35 (44%), and a significant portion are between 36 and 45 (27%). Those under 25 aren’t jumping on the virtual work bandwagon as quickly (they, of course, also represent a lesser portion of the workforce overall).

Here are some other interesting finds from the Nubelo survey:

  • 58% of respondents are dedicated to remote work full-time, it representing their only source of income.
  • Companies plan to hire more remote workers in the year ahead. In fact, 36% of those surveyed said 26-50% of their workforce will be made up of freelancers in 2014.
  • Over three-quarters of surveyed workers said they perform better in 3.0 mode. However, concerns were also voiced regarding stability, salaries and competition.
  • Programmers, designers, bloggers and content creators are the most likely candidates to find looking for work online, and translators and marketers are in the mix as well.
  • Men make up 65% of the remote workforce, and women the other 35%.
  • Web developers and programmers are most in demand (73%), followed by graphic designers and multimedia experts (64%), developers (29%), online marketers (28%) and writers (22%).

Online freelance work is a growing trend in Latin America and Spain. Just 14% of the companies that hire remotely today did so before 2009, with most starting just one, two years ago. And in 2014, even more will get on board.