The race is on for the startups in contention to form part of the second edition of naranya*LABS. The final leg of its selection process is currently underway in Monterrey, Mexico, and the competition is tough.
The accelerator opened the call for startups late last year, for the first time opening up submissions outside of Mexico. And by the looks of it, things worked out: naranya*LABS received over 100 applications, including projects from the United States, Israel, Colombia, Argentina and India.
naranya*LABS is a niche accelerator geared toward mobile startups – unsurprising, giving its parent entity is mobile commerce giant Naranya. In this cycle, it will select 12 projects to participate, companies receiving US$40,000 (half in cash and half in kind) in exchange for an equity stake as well as support through mentoring, training, workspace and business services.
This week, the accelerator is making its final decision, having invited 34 startups to present at its selection panel in Monterrey. The panel is conformed by leading members of the Naranya team as well as representatives from Endeavor, Alta Ventures and Riverwood Capital.
We’ll have to wait to find out who the final 12 are, but in the meantime, here’s a look at the 34 finalists:
- Ayola: Mobile classifieds service to help the recently connected market their goods and find jobs efficiently by using their smart or not so smart phones.
- Business Radar: A platform that links together mobile workforce management, project management and visual collaboration.
- BúsquedaFácil: A South American-based mobile app that helps consumers book reliable and pre-approved service professionals.
- Carbonara: Allows brands to have their own mobile store and sell via smartphones & tablets without technical skills
- Cinemad: Interactive videos in HTML5 with contextual ads directed to e-commerce and marketing. This app provides the tech and the distribution via ad networks.
- Claseteca: LATAM oriented learning community where people can discover local and online classes taught by talented teachers from their cities.
- Danzli: Find instant dance partners based on your location on your mobile.
- Dietr: Shuffle music player with social network sharing features.
- Easy2Study: A platform that provides a smart feedback system for math exercises, for student & teacher in high schools & universities.
- Espiral: A company focused on converting smartphones into payment terminals in Latin America.
- Eventik: A mobile ticketing application for live events
- Factoraje: One-to-one factoring auction marketplace for businesses and people to get working capital or do capital investments
- Flyer.IO: Web-based intelligent marketing tool for real estate
- Inaika: A place to help you discover what you love or learn what you’ve always wanted to try.
- Insights: Indoor micro location marketing platform that uses Bluetooth LE beacons and social networks interaction.
- Kiwi: A mobile layaway platform that allows consumers to design custom-made prepaid installment plans.
- MartMobi: Mobile commerce platform that helps merchants “go live” across all mobile and tablet platforms.
- Mercall: Find who needs your products and what you need to send or receive them be it wholesale or retail around the world.
- MeroArte: An art marketplace for buying and selling original and affordable artworks in Latin America.
- Money2Ethiopia: The best way to send money from the United States to Ethiopia.
- Pikster: A mobile app to discover, rate, and share your favorite things in life.
- Q-Tax: A mobile application to convert your bills of expenses in invoices you can deduct.
- Roupologia: An on-demand professional stylist marketplace.
- Sphere: The Netflix of news.
- Stayin: Discover unknown destinations, book small hotels, and pay online, all with great recommendations.
- TicketHoy: The easiest way to buy music, events and theater show tickets for tonight, with last-minute discounts.
- ToEventwithFriends: Tickets and booking with the travel companions to events
- Two to Tango: A networking platform with advanced analytics capabilities that helps event organizers and delegates get most out of their business events.
- Verify: A powerful electronic system to help prevent counterfeiting of goods and services.
- Vive+: A simple and easy to use personal finance mobile application.
- Vonus: Cloud-based software that helps sell, analyze, and manage inventories from anywhere using any device.
- Xlibrio: A platform that focuses on the distribution of electronic educational content to schools in emerging markets.
- Zmart: Payments platform and mobile app for recharging prepaid mobile cell phones.
- Zolvers: A platform where users can outsource one-time tasks.